How To Clean A Watch – Nordgreen Watch Maintenance
Our closets are full of items that we wear again and again, and so require regular washing in order to stay in good and wearable condition. But there is one accessory that we wear all the time that we can’t simply throw in the washing machine when it needs a clean; our watch.
Watches are integral parts of our daily outfits, yet often they are neglected in terms of maintenance. Think about your own watch for a moment. Maybe you’ve wiped it a couple of times with the bottom of your shirt, or given it a little clean with a tissue. Unfortunately, most people don’t realize that watches collect vast amounts of dust and dirt, and need to be cleaned more than just once in a while.
Like any other piece of jewelry, watches should be kept in pristine condition to look their best. We all want our watches to be admired by others and not looked at in shock due to the level of dirt they have acquired.
Luckily, all watches are relatively easy to clean if you know what you’re doing, and Nordgreen timepieces are no different. In fact, our watches are designed in a way that enables cleaning of your watch to be an easy process. Read our cleaning guide in order to keep your watch in the best and cleanest condition.
Cleaning Stainless Steel Dial and Mesh Straps
Watch straps are where most dirt and dust gather on your watch. Depending on the design, and whether there are open crevices between the links of your watch strap, it can be hard to remove a build-up of grime. Stainless steel watches are most affected by dirt, as this can make their appearance look dull.
To properly clean a stainless-steel watch, you can’t simply dunk your watch in a bowl of water. Too much water and sweat can cause the steel substance on your straps to rust, which is definitely something you want to avoid. To effectively clean your Nordgreen mesh straps, follow these steps:
- First, remove the straps from the dial. This will protect the dial from getting any water damage during the cleaning process.
- Next, gently wipe down your watch with a dry lint-free cloth to remove any dust. Using a lint-free cloth is preferable otherwise small fabric particles may get caught in the small crevices of the mesh material.
- After this, create a cleaning mixture. Use lukewarm water and a cleaning agent like dish soap. It’s important to ensure the water is not too hot, as hot water can damage the metal substance.
- Once you’ve prepared the cleaning agent, dip a toothbrush in the mixture and lightly scrub the watch with this.
- Clean off any remaining soapy substance and dry your straps with a hairdryer on low heat.
Cleaning a stainless-steel watch face and dial cover is similar to the process above. The dials are made from stainless steel and the watch faces are made from sapphire crystal glass. This is the strongest substance for a watch face, and although it is hard to break, this doesn’t stop it from getting dirty if it isn’t looked after. It’s therefore important to properly clean this glass on a regular basis.
Due to the mechanisms contained in this part of the watch, it is very important to not soak your dial in hot water, as high temperatures can affect the movement and stop it from working. Here’s how you can safely clean your watch’s face:
- Create a lukewarm soapy mixture, the same as the one used for your mesh straps.
- Again, take a lint-free, soft cloth and dampen it slightly with the mixture.
- Gently wipe the clock face, and pat it down with a dry, lint-free cloth.
It’s important to use a cloth that doesn’t contain anything that could scratch your watch’s face as marks on glass can be tricky to remove.
Cleaning Leather Straps
Cleaning leather is a little more difficult than cleaning steel. When leather is around moisture, it can react badly and this is when it begins to crack. Sweat can be problematic for leather straps and too much of it can discolor the strap. For this reason, it’s important to regularly clean your leather strap to keep it in a good condition.
With your Nordgreen leather straps, you should wipe them down with a dry cloth every evening, preferably before going to sleep. This will remove all of the built-up moisture and dirt from the day. For a deeper clean that you can do once every couple of weeks, follow these steps:
- First, remove your leather straps from the dial.
- Then, wipe the straps down with a dry, soft cloth.
- Finally, put a small amount of leather cleaning solution on a dry cloth. Lightly rub the cloth over the leather straps, before wiping off with a clean cloth.
It’s important to purchase a good cleaner for your Nordgreen straps, as they are made from the highest-quality leather. Ensure that you shop around for the best cleaner as cheap solutions can cause discoloration of the strap.
A Professional Clean
Although Nordgreen watches are very easy to clean at home due to their interchangeable straps, it can sometimes be difficult or worrying to try and clean our own watches. We don’t want to cause any damage to these beautifully crafted timepieces. So, if you are unsure of your cleaning abilities and don’t want to run the risk of ruining your watch, take it to a professional watch cleaner. They will know exactly what to do with your watch in order to leave it looking brand new.
Above all, make sure to give your Nordgreen watch a deep clean at least once a month. The watches are designed to look elegant and a clean exterior will allow the beautiful color tones of your watch to stand out and shine.